The Force Of Fan Fashion panel was held on the Saturday of Celebration Orlando 2017. The panel was hosted by 4 Star Wars fashion fans, and focused on the area of fan made fashion. The slideshow featured photos of a wide variety of fans showing off their custom Star Wars apparel. As a Star Wars fashion fan, I enjoyed seeing the wide array of fan made Star Wars apparel and accessories presented in the panel.
The Force of Fan Fashion, Saturday April 15th 2017 (10:30am – 11:30am, Star Wars Collectors’ Stage)
Fans love to express their love for Star Wars through all sorts of creative ways – including looking stylish with their Star Wars side! Our fashionistas will talk about their journeys in wearing Star Wars fabulously every day, and want to see you rocking the Star Wars look too!
The panel was hosted by Lori Sartre, Jazz Kopeček Rathore, Betsy Waddell, Samantha Alleyne (absent), and Angela Costello.
- The vintage Star Wars bed sheets and modern printed sheets are common sources of Star Wars fabric for custom outfits (thankfully printed Star Wars fabrics are much easier to find these days, so fans no longer have to cut up vintage items!).
- Custom Star Wars menswear includes shirts and even full suits.
- Everyday cosplay style outfits can take inspiration from any favourite character – these examples are inspired by ewoks and Chewbacca.
- Here are some great costume inspired outfits, taking inspiration from X-Wing pilots, Imperial officers, Han Solo, and R2-D2.
- Printed Star Wars fabrics are perfect for creating men’s collared shirts.
- Custom accessories can include cuff links and scarfs
- If you can’t find a printed fabric you like, you can print your own fabric designs at places like Spoonflower, or alter existing garments (often men’s t-shirts).
- The R2-KT (pink astromech) dress seen below is made by The Bag Depot – read our interview with them here.
- I really enjoy seeing the custom prints some fans have designed for their own unique apparel – these examples include the Rebel ‘starbird’ and vintage Greedo action figures!
- Fans are left to fill the gap in the market for Star Wars maternity wear.
- Children’s apparel can be made with printed Star Wars fabrics, or altering larger/adult garments.
- Handbags and clutches are a great item to customise, or sew from scratch with printed fabrics.
- The advanced techniques required in making metal jewelry means this is smaller area of fan made fashion – but it is great to see some neat creative designs.
- Footwear is fun to customise with a variety of mediums including hand painting and rhinestones, or covering with Star Wars fabrics.
- Other fan made fashion ideas include full knitted sweaters (like the Captain Rex sweater by Natela Datura Design) and hats, and screen printing your own designs on t-shirts.
Afterwards the panels posed for photos in their custom-made Star Wars apparel, and answered questions from audience members. They also gave out candy to fans who came up the front to show off their own fan made Star Wars fashion, and also auctioned off a few custom apparel items.