Today’s ‘Outer Rim Recon’ rounds up recent Star Wars related fashion news and articles. If you have a new find, blog post or link you’d like to share, please let us know 🙂
Fashion Labels Worn By Star Wars Actresses
The LA Times wrote about 10 ‘fresh stand out’ designers to watch on the red carpet – including several who have dressed Star Wars actresses for high profile events. The designers featured in the article include Thai Nguyen (worn by Kelly Marie Tran), Olga Djanguirov (worn by Lupita Nyong’o), and Sophia Webster (worn by Rose Byrne). Read the full article here.
Star Wars Actors/Actresses to Present at the Oscars
The 2018 Academy Awards presenters have been announced – including several Star Wars actors and actresses! The line-up features Kelly Marie Tran, Oscar Isaac, Mark Hamill, Laura Dern, and Lupita Nyong’o. The awards ceremony will take place on 4th March 2018 – read the full list of presenters here.
Natalie Portman Hosts Saturday Night Live
Natalie Portman returned to host SNL, and dressed up as Queen Amidala in one segment! In a sequel to her original 2006 SNL ‘rap’ segment, Natalie wore a Queen Amidala costume while telling people to say something nice about the prequels – see photos and watch the skit here (and check out her ‘bumper’ promo photos here).
Different Wrld Collection Inspired by Rogue One
In an interview with The Blue Banner, fashion designer Kiara “Honey” Edison Durham talks about how her upcoming ‘Rogue’ collection is inspired by Rogue One. Read the full article here.
…Honey takes clothes she finds from Goodwill and reworks them, making one-of-a-kind, affordable pieces for Rogue. She wants her collection to feel like a uniform for oddballs and people who feel they do not belong…
The Last Jedi Wins Best Movie For Grown-Ups at AARP Awards
Star Wars stars Mark Hamill, Kelly Marie Tran and Ben Mendelsohn were presenters at the 17th Annual AARP Movies for Grownups Awards, where The Last Jedi won for Best Movie For Grown-Ups. The awards celebrate the work of movie makers over 50 – this year’s event is the first time the awards ceremony has been broadcast on television. As ‘Best Movie’ presenter alongside Mark Hamill, Kelly Marie Tran wore a lovely blue dress – read more about the awards ceremony here and here.
Natalie Portman on Porter Magazine Cover
Natalie Portman is featured in the latest Spring 2018 edition of Porter Magazine. In the cover photo, Natalie wears a top by Andreas Kronthaler for Vivienne Westwood, and Isabel Marant Etoile shorts. She also wears outfits by Dior in the accompanying article photos – read more here.
Keira Knightley in New Chanel Perfume Campaign
Keira Knightley is featured in the advertising campaign for the new Chanel perfume ‘Coco Mademoiselle Intense fragrance’. She has been the face for the Coco Mademoiselle fragrance since 2007 – check out new interviews with Keira where she talks about beauty routines, makeup and hairstyles with Vogue Magazine and Elle Magazine (Harper’s BAZAAR also takes a look back at Keira’s advertising campaigns for the fragrance).
Red Carpet Fashion Round-Up
The actresses of Star Wars always look fabulous at any red carpet event. Here are appearances by our favourite actresses – it’s been an especially busy month for Lupita Nyong’o, celebrating the release of her latest film Black Panther.
- Felicity Jones (Jyn Erso) wore a beautiful floral black dress at the Erdem Fall 2018 fashion presentation in London
- Felicity Jones (Jyn Erso) wore a glittery black outfit by Emilia Wickstead at the Vogue Fashion And Film Party 2018
- Kiera Knightly (Sabe’) wore an oversized black tuxedo jacket and lacy tulle skirt at the Burberry Fall 2018 fashion show in London
- Emilia Clarke (Qi’ra) wore a floral Dolce & Gabbana dress to The Centrepoint Awards in London
- Rose Byrne (Dorme’) wore floral dresses by Dolce & Gabbana and Erdem while promoting Peter Rabbit in Los Angeles
- Natalie Portman (Padme’ Amidala) wore a black gown by Valentino at the Annihilation premiere in Los Angeles
- Kelly Marie Tran (Rose Tico) wore a blue Georges Chakra Fall 2017 Couture dress at the The Hollywood Reporter 6th Annual Nominees Night
- Lupita Nyong’o (Maz Kanata) wore a black Ellie Saab gown at the 2018 BAFTAs ceremony in London
- Lupita Nyong’o (Maz Kanata) wore outfits by Cushnie et Ochs, Gucci, and Dolce & Gabbana during the Black Panther promotional tour
- Lupita Nyong’o (Maz Kanata) wore a blue toned blouse and skirt ensemble at Calvin Klein Fall 2018 fashion show
- Lupita Nyong’o (Maz Kanata) wore a gorgeous embellished Balmain gown at the Black Panther premier in London
- Lupita Nyong’o (Maz Kanata) wore a bold gown by Kevin Mayes at the Black Panther premiere in Johannesburg
- Lupita Nyong’o (Maz Kanata) wore outfits by Elie Saab and Ralph & Russo during the Black Panther promotional tour in Seoul
- Laura Dern (Amilyn Holdo) wore a black Stella McCartney outfit to the 90th Annual Academy Awards Nominee Luncheon
- Laura Dern (Amilyn Holdo) wore a stunning Calvin Klein Spring 2018 jacket at the Calvin Klein Fall 2018 fashion show
Star Wars TLJ Costumes on Display at FIDM
Five costumes from The Last Jedi are on display at FIDM, as part of the 26th “Art of Motion Picture Costume Design exhibition. The costumes on display include General Leia Organa, Praetorian Guard, and three Canto Bight patrons – read more about the exhibition here.
Star Wars Outfits by White Hot Room
Bria over at White Hot Room has shared three Star Wars outfits, featuring items by Musterbrand, Prophecy Girl, and Her Universe. The first is an outfit inspired by X-Wing Pilots featuring items by Musterband. She paired the X-Wing Pilot cardigan with a white top, grey pants, Rebel Alliance earrings, and the Musterbrand X-Wing pilot sneakers (sadly only available in men’s sizes, I can’t fit them). She also put together a Bazine Netal inspired outfit featuring the Galactic Spy shirt by Prophecy Girl (check out our review of the shirt here), and a Princess Leia inspired outfit featuring the Her Universe vest.
Rebellion Themed Outfit by The Stylish Geek
Emily from The Stylish Geek put together a wonderful Rebel Alliance themed outfit, featuring a Her Universe x Star Wars jacket. She paired the Finn jacket with orange toned wide-legged pants, grey tie-front top and flats – check out her outfit photos here.